One of the reasons why we love living in Milan is the proximity to the mountains! It takes really little time to reach the top, take a big breath of air and give up for a while from the metropolitan chaos.
Slopes are about to open again and we are ready to go! Let’s start with our roundup about snow, from two destinations which are less than 150km from the city center of Milan. Excellent destinations for a Sunday trip or an escape during the week.
Skiing in Lombardy: Piano di Bobbio and Valtorta
The closer snow from the capital of Lombardy. 80 km to cover in about one hour and half to reach the area Piani di Bobbio and Valtorta, where 35 km of slopes unwind among the provinces of Lecco and Bergamo, along the most binding routes, as the ski run Tre Signori and the Orscellera Super, a black slope longer than one kilometer and a slope for the sledges.
The people keen in cross country skiing, have the option between the Bobbio and Valtorta routes with their variants, suited for the skilled skiers and the novices, while the more adventure riders have more than 1500 square meters of snowpark in which they can show off tricks with their boards.
Good to know
- How to get there: By Car – from Milan you have to take the SS36 to Lecco. After passing the Monte Barro’s tunnel, take the exit Valsassina until Ballabio than get to Barzio. By Shuttle – If you don’t want to take your car, shuttles are available during the weekend leaving from Milan and from FS station of Sesto (in this link you find the timetable and the reservation conditions). Instead, if you’re going to Valtorta by car, on the Bergamo’s side of the area, take Brembana Valley’s highway to Olmo in Brembo, and then follow the way to Valle Stabina until Valtorta.
- Parking: Barzio has an efficient shuttle service inside the town. You can easily leave your car in one of the four free parking areas and take the shuttle that brings up to the cableway’s start, in order to get to the slopes. Besides, there is another parking area next to the ski facilities which is on payment and it costs 3€for all day, 125€ for the seasonal pass or 25€ the ticket for 10 entrances.
- Skipass prices: if you want to ski in all area, the daily skipass cost is 32€. Instead if you want to delight your kids with a funniest day among bob or sledge, you’ll have to pay only the cableway’s price to access the slopes (12€ for adults and 3€ for kids younger than 5 years old – roundtrip is already included in the price). Toddlers could spend 5€ to access the carpet: the comfortable way to reach the top of the sledges’ slope.
- More info on this site: pianidibobbio.com
Skiing in Lombardy: Brembo Ski Area
Foppolo, San Simone and Carona make up the so called area Brembo Ski Area, located only 50 km from the exit of Bergamo’s motorway. 14 lift systems for 50 km of slopes of which 9 baby, 19 red and 5 black slopes, where you can ski with a single skipass. The snowboard or freestyle enthusiasts will be challenged thanks to the two super-equipped snowparks in Foppolo and San Simone, which can be accessed freely, showing the daily skipass.
In Convento mountain resort, near Foppolo, a beautiful cross country skiing slope is available also lightened for the nocturne ski, while for who decides to stay in Carona there are almost 7 km of slopes in the ice-skating surrounding area. Your little hockey champions or the ones who dream to become the next Carolina Kostner (Italian figures skating champion) have the Carona’s Ice stadium, where they can enjoy after a day on the snow.
Good to know
- How to get there: by car, take the A4 and take the Dalmine’s exit and keep going on SS470 direction Zogno, San Pellegrino, Valle Brembana, San Simone, Foppolo e Carona.
- Useful tips: if you choose Brembo ski for your day on the snow, mind the departure times to go back home. Leaving when ski facilities close, means that you could face a lot of traffic until the end of the highway, so we suggest you to leave before 15.00 or to stay for dinner in the mountains and drive on after your bellies are full!
- Skipass prices: daily single skipass cost for the area is €32.
- More info on this site: bremboski.it
Now you only need to choose your destination and have fun in a thousand shades of white.